Skinder-Strauss LLC is a third-generation, family-owned enterprise providing information and support to the legal community. Skinder-Strauss focuses on litigation support. Services range from Web-based software, mobile products and legal directories to private investigators, process servers, court clerical staff and couriers. Its business units operate in New York and New Jersey. Clients include law firms from solo practitioners to the Am Law 200 as well as other non-legal industries.
Skinder-Strauss has roots dating back to 1929 as the New Jersey Lawyers Service.
Aaron Skinder and Frieda Pickman graduated law school in New York City in 1929. Instead of practicing law, they decided to create a firm that would provide products and services to the legal community.
They began a courier service in Newark, N.J., running papers between firms and courts. In 1939, they launched a directory of legal community members to facilitate the sending of documents. In addition to starting their firm, they married and started a family.
Their directory became quite popular and began to take on a life of its own. The two attorneys then purchased a statewide attorney directory and legal guide that was first published in 1888 and continues today as the New Jersey Lawyers Diary and Manual.
Over time, Aaron and Frieda, along with their children and grandchildren, created several other directories. They also started and acquired various other businesses. Today, Skinder-Strauss is owned by Aaron and Frieda’s grandchildren.
Timeline of milestones:
- 1871 and continues: annual publication Fitzgerald’s Legislative Manual®
- 1888 and continues: annual publication New Jersey Lawyers Diary and Manual®
- 1898 and continues: annual publication New York Lawyers Diary and Manual®
- 1929 and continues: New Jersey Lawyers Service (NJLS)
- 1957 and continues: annual publication Florida Lawyers Diary and Manual®
- 1959 and continues: annual publication Massachusetts Lawyers Diary and Manual®
- 1975 and continues: annual publication New Hampshire Lawyers Diary and Manual®
- 1986 and continues: Skinder-Strauss Associates
- 1993 and continues: Lawyers Diary and Manual PC Edition®
- 1997: acquired American Clerical Services
- 1999 and continues: established eLaw, LLC
- 2011 and continues: launched Web-based LDMonline™
- 2011 and continues: launched LDMmobile™
- 2012: acquired Aetna Judicial Service, now part of PM Legal
- 2013: acquired Federated Legal Services, now part of PM Legal
- 2013: acquired Lex-Serv, now part of PM Legal
- 2013: acquired Premier Legal Services, now part of PM Legal
- 2014: acquired Relay Brothers Courier, now part of NJLS
- 2014: acquired AM PM Process Servers, now part of NJLS
- 2014: acquired Sav-On Process Service, now part of PM Legal
- 2015: implemented market-leading compliance program in New York
- 2016: acquired Turbo Legal Support and Turbo Couriers, now part of NJLS
- 2016: partnered with Ross Mallor to form PM Legal
- 2017: PM Legal opens Long Island office (now in Manhattan, Queens, Long Island)
- 2018: eLaw and PM Legal make strategic investment in ZR Per Diem
Principles of Conduct
Integrity in Action
Skinder-Strauss LLC and its business units are proud to be part of the legal community, supporting it with a wide range of products and services. We aspire to be the best at what we do and how we do it. Our companies and employees share the following Principles of Conduct:
- We comply with the laws and regulations, and demand the same from our suppliers.
- We are honest with our customers, with our records, with the authorities, with each other.
- We are safe, especially while driving automobiles.
- We are loyal, with confidential information, company time, company equipment.
- We respect our colleagues, our customers, our vendors.
Contact Information: Integrity in Action
When employees, contractors or vendors see something wrong or are in doubt about how to act, they discuss it with a supervisor, the company legal counsel or the Ethics Hotline.
The Ethics Hotline is run by The Network, an independent organization. When you contact them, you do not have to give a name. A customized Web form or professional interview specialist will document your concern and then relay the information to Skinder-Strauss.
If you have a concern about unethical, illegal or unsafe activity and prefer to remain anonymous, contact The Network (24 hours a day, 7 days a week):
Toll free: (844) 283-9313
Top Brands in Litigation Support
Lawyers Diary and Manual
Lawyers Diary and Manual is the leading legal directory serving the states of New Jersey, New York, Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Florida. It is available as a printed book—with or without diary pages—Web-based software or on a smartphone. The original Skinder family members started the directory business in 1939.
New Jersey Lawyers Service
NJLS (New Jersey Lawyers Service) is an award-winning courier and server of process for the New Jersey legal community and offers low-cost pickup and delivery to a broad range of businesses and government entities. NJLS was the first business started by the original Skinder family members in 1929.
eLaw has been annually ranked as the leading Web-based docketing and calendaring software by New York legal professionals. It allows attorneys to search, monitor and manage active and archived cases, dockets and court calendars in the New York and New Jersey trial courts. eLaw also coordinates per diem legal services. eLaw was founded by Skinder-Strauss in 1999.
PM Legal was named in the combination of PM Investigations with the legacy businesses of, American Clerical Service, Aetna Judicial Service, Federated Process Service, Lex-Serv and Premier Legal Services. PM Legal is the leader in Process Service, Investigations, and Court Services for trial lawyers, paralegals and legal secretaries at law firms, insurance companies, government agencies and financial institutions in the New York City area.
ZR Per Diem Attorney Services
Established in 2009 by Cesar Zuniga and Connie Rinaldi, ZRPD is the top provider of centralized, professional per diem coverage in the New York and New Jersey markets. By building a scalable yet service-driven offering ZRPD has set the bar for per diem placement services, revolutionizing the practice of law and making attorney’s litigation calendars easier to manage. ZRPD has covered over 100,000 appearances for firms large and small, making the lives of attorneys easier and more productive.